Turning In My Human Card

If every person had to have a card, say, a "human card," to be part of this species, today would be the day I'd turn it in. I'd go to God's counter, turn in my card, and say, "I don't want to be affiliated with a species that kidnaps and murders its young. I want to join up with the manatees. They're fat and peaceful, just like me. I could learn to be down with vegetarianism again. Plus, I like Florida."

Yesterday authorities found the body of Sandra Cantu, an 8 year-old Tracy, California girl last seen on a home security video skipping happily home. It would be the last visual of her.

Her body was found eight days later in an irrigation pool, stuffed in a suitcase.

I, like many other northern Californians, had hoped against hope that this child would be returned. That she'd find her way home. It was not to be.

Today an autopsy will be performed. I can't bear to know what some monster did to this child. That she is no longer with us is hard enough to bear.

I swear, if I ever get to heaven, the three things I want to ask God are: 1) My mom and my dad -- how did THAT happen? 2) Slavery and The Holocaust -- were you on vacation or what? and 3) Help me understand a world in which cruelty to children happens, because I can't comprehend it, can't fathom it, can't imagine that there's any explanation that even You can provide.

I guess this is one of those days in which I have to "lean not to my own understanding."

But if I had a human card, I'd turn it in today.

Pray for Sandra, folks. Pray that she didn't suffer and that she is at the foot of her Maker.

1 comment:

theoutragedcitizen said...

Nicely said BWB! I turned my card this past Saturday. I also have some thoughts on this as well.

Black Woman Blogging's 2020 Not-Fucking-Around Guide to Voting Securely and Her California Voter Guide

It's been a minute since I've put fingers to keyboard to blog here.  A lot has happened, too much to discuss at this point because v...