Put Your Pearls On For Mrs. Obama

Today is First Lady Michelle Obama's birthday. I'm late to the party, but I noticed on Facebook that there's a campaign to show your support for the First Lady by wearing pearls today called "Girls with Pearls." When I step out today (I'm home from work), I will be wearing mine.

In my 48 years in these United States, I have never seen a First Lady of the United States so disrespected, misconstrued and totally misunderstood. I've seen photos online comparing her to to Tarzan's chimpanzee Cheetah in an email joke. Wisconsin Republican representative Jim Sensenbrenner derided Mrs. Obama for her campaign against child obesity, citing that she had a large posterior. (I find that ironic since any sister with any semblance of a booty will tell you that white men covet our butts.) Rush Limbaugh "slips" and refers to the First Lady as "The First Linebacker."

If you think this isn't about race, you're fooling yourself.

It's time for African-American women and all women of good will to show their support with a gesture that's just as classy as our First Lady. If it's not too late, when you walk out the door, put your pearls on. I might even wear my pearls every day until Election Day as a show of support.

Here's my favorite video of the First Lady, dancing with kids in her "Let's Move" campaign against childhood obesity. May she continue to dance, smile and keep her head up in the days ahead. With pearls on, no less.

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Obama!

1 comment:

blackwomanblogging said...

Thank you, Ms. Composure! I appreciate it.

Black Woman Blogging's 2020 Not-Fucking-Around Guide to Voting Securely and Her California Voter Guide

It's been a minute since I've put fingers to keyboard to blog here.  A lot has happened, too much to discuss at this point because v...