A Letter to Bobbi Kristina Brown

Dear Bobbi Kristina,

I recently watched the interview you had with Oprah Winfrey. I am so very sorry for your loss and yet so proud of the strength, resilience and courage you showed.

I, too, lost my mother, but at a much later stage in life than you have. I was a huge fan of your mother, and although I never met her, I didn't have to know her to know this:

Your mother loved you profoundly, deeply, unconditionally and completely, and that love will never, ever go away.

As hard as it is to lose one's mother, the one thing that helps me even after all these years -- my mother died almost fourteen years ago -- is to remember what I had. Many people go through this world not ever having been truly loved by their mothers. You see these people every day -- they walk through this world wounded, working out their issues on other people, externalizing the internal hurt they have from the absence of their mother's love.

Not us.

I used to think that every child was as loved by their mothers as I was by mine. Not so. When I grew up and realized this wasn't the case, I realized what a blessing it was to have started my life with someone who loved me because I was hers, who loved me just because, and who loved me just as I was. Having had that foundation prepared me to love and to accept love. Again, not everybody grows up with that loving foundation.

But we did.

I hope that with each day you remember your mother with more joy and less sorrow, more laughter and fewer tears. Like you said in your interview, I'm convinced that she's still "got you," just as I'm convinced that my mom still has "got me." And if you continue to do what she taught you, you'll be alright.

Peace and blessings,

Black Woman Blogging

No comments:

Black Woman Blogging's 2020 Not-Fucking-Around Guide to Voting Securely and Her California Voter Guide

It's been a minute since I've put fingers to keyboard to blog here.  A lot has happened, too much to discuss at this point because v...