The Peace Perimeter

I made the mistake of asking. It was all my fault.

I asked one of my relatives how some of my other relatives were doing. What a can of worms I opened! Tales of self-centered, irresponsible, janky, triflin' adult behavior from folks old enough to know better flowed. I learned more than I needed to know.

I spent the rest of my afternoon in my backyard garden, too mortified and aghast to do anything else but seek refuge in compost and perennials. Why did I ask? People don't change overnight, if at all. Their patterns of poor choices persist until they decide to change or they die. They don't care who they affect with their lousy choices. Until they change, they're like an albatross on the spirit of those who, by family ties and by having made better life choices, are duty bound to watch out or care for them.

It came to me between the roses and the lantana. I had to create my own spiritual Green Zone. A Peace Perimeter, if you will.

From now on, I won't ask about janky, triflin' people, whether they are related to me or not. I'll just try to remember to pray for them. And I won't let others tell me about their janky, triflin' exploits. I'll just say, "No thanks, I don't need to know. Please don't share."

You have to guard your spirit. You really do. I lost most of that afternoon in the garden trying to regroup when I had other things to do, like clean out my refrigerator and cook for the week. From now on, when I'm in my home, I won't deal with janky, triflin' people or their exploits. When I'm out and about, I'll excuse myself from conversations about them.

I will steadfastly guard my Peace Perimeter.

Do you have a Peace Perimeter, and, if so, how do you guard it?

No comments:

Black Woman Blogging's 2020 Not-Fucking-Around Guide to Voting Securely and Her California Voter Guide

It's been a minute since I've put fingers to keyboard to blog here.  A lot has happened, too much to discuss at this point because v...