Hitting the Reset Button

Memorial Day is a wonderful time to take stock -- of the lives lost in defense of our nation, of what we have, of what we've accomplished thus far this year. It's also a good time to hit the reset button of our lives.

I know that I, like many women, slide into schlumpadinka-ville during the winter months. I dress for warmth, not for style. I don't pay attention to my hair. I eat comfort food, not healthy food. Nail techs would run from me in horror if they saw my feet. Exercise regimen? As if.

But all that self-denial in pursuit of warmth and comfort takes its toll. Most of the cute summer clothes are not in my size. I'm out of breath just taking the stairs. My hair looks like a cross between Sasquatch and a drunken Diana Ross. And nail techs would still run from my feet.

So it's time to hit the reset button.

Sure, I've got a lot going on -- I'm getting involved in local politics (as an activist), BMNB and I are still in adoption mode, and our house looks like nuclear winter on the inside. But I read O Magazine's column by Donna Brazile this month, and in it she said something that got my attention:

You can only go as far as your body will take you.

I hate to go all Oprah on y'all, but that was definitely an "A-ha" moment for me.

I've always counted on my intellect, but if I don't take care of my body, my intellect doesn't matter. It's hard to express deep thoughts if a stroke has altered your speech. It's hard to run around after children if a heart attack has slowed you down. I don't even want to go there.

So I'm hitting the reset button. I'm rededicating myself to eating better, exercising, and taking care of myself. I pulled out the Weight Watchers materials, and although I'm not ready to rejoin the group, I am ready to start being mindful of what I put in my mouth. I want to run a marathon one day, God willing, if my body will take me that far. I want to run after the kids BMNB and I have yet to have.

Now, if I can find a nail tech who won't run from my feet . . .

No comments:

Black Woman Blogging's 2020 Not-Fucking-Around Guide to Voting Securely and Her California Voter Guide

It's been a minute since I've put fingers to keyboard to blog here.  A lot has happened, too much to discuss at this point because v...