Conserving Energy -- My Own

Summer's almost here, although you wouldn't know it from the weird weather we're having here in Northern California (Tornadoes? WTF?). And this summer, I'm engaging in some serious energy conservation -- my own.

I've come to see that a lot of things I'm spending energy on aren't paying off much in terms of results or personal satisfaction. So I'm going to starting conserving energy and redirecting it towards things that will give me greater personal satisfaction.

I'm not going to waste time trying to give someone a message they aren't willing or prepared to receive. I'll speak my peace once ("Uh, you might want to go back to school") and then leave it. What they do with my message is up to them. Heck, I might not speak it at all -- sometimes people aren't prepared to receive a message they desperately need to hear. Saying it over and over again doesn't make them any more prepared to hear it. No one controls that but them.

In true Gemini fashion, I'm putting down obligations that suck energy with little to show for my efforts in terms of results or personal satisfaction. If I'm going to waste time, I'd rather waste it attempting to write, garden, or play the piano. At least I'd be wasting time on myself and getting personal satisfaction from the effort.

No, this summer, I want to read the books I want to read -- sorry, fellow book club members -- spend time with the people I want to spend time with, organize my home and my finances, write, exercise, play the piano, travel and cook. No political campaigns, no de facto life coaching for troubled family and friends, no agreeing to go to events or do things just to make others happy. I'm taking things down a few notches and conserving my energy instead of running myself into the ground. Energy is like money -- you only get so much to spend in a lifetime. Choose wisely.

Happy Summer (assuming it ever comes to Northern California).

No comments:

Black Woman Blogging's 2020 Not-Fucking-Around Guide to Voting Securely and Her California Voter Guide

It's been a minute since I've put fingers to keyboard to blog here.  A lot has happened, too much to discuss at this point because v...