Hey, Occupy Wall Street: Need An Agenda? Take This One!

Dear Occupy Wall Street,

I support you, really I do. But the time has come to move beyond occupying to accomplishing. It's time to adopt an agenda and push it. Need an agenda? Take this one:

1) Re-enact Glass-Steagall.

2) Overturn Citizens United by constitutional amendment and strip corporations of personhood and speech rights.

3) Repeal the Bush tax cuts for the top 1%. If these cuts were supposed to help the "job creators" create jobs, we wouldn't have so much unemployment.

4) Pass a constitutional amendment prohibiting CEOs from making more than 40 times in salary, benefits and stock options than the annual salary of the lowest paid employees in their companies.

5) Break up banks that received TARP money so they're no longer "too big to fail."

6) Prosecute the CEOs of the commercial banks, mortgage lenders, investment banks, and rating agencies that precipitated the real estate bubble.

I know this doesn't encompass all the issues you're protesting about, but it's a good start.

Here's a tagline for you, borrowed from the late comedian Robin Harris:

"We don't die; we occupy."

You're welcome. Rock on, Occupy Wall Street.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me. If corporations are people, does that mean I can marry Apple, Inc? Is that legal in California? New York? Canada?
Adriane

b said...

HI. I'm a university student conducting a study on African American Professional Women wherein I explore the spheres of work, family, and leisure and how they intertwine. I would love it if you were to participate in my study. Please email me at aabioye@uchicago.edu if you have time and are willing to complete a survey.

Best,

BA

Black Woman Blogging's 2020 Not-Fucking-Around Guide to Voting Securely and Her California Voter Guide

It's been a minute since I've put fingers to keyboard to blog here.  A lot has happened, too much to discuss at this point because v...